Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful for Him

     It's Thanksgiving here in America. For those of you in other parts of the world, who don't know, what many people do here on this day is cook a turkey, dressing (which is some bread with herbs and eggs cooked together) vegetables, and other items, pies and cakes, and have family and friends over. We eat too much, and visit with our relatives we haven't seen in awhile. Some people watch a football game on T.V. Others go hunting, or play card games, or something like that. Some take group pictures. This is usually an all day affair. At the end of the day, many people are heard to say, "Why did I eat too much?"
     We are going to my husband's sister's house where probably 40 or so people will be there. We live about 18 miles north of her in the country. She bought the family home about 10 years ago, and added 2 stories to it. It is a beautiful place, with many memories attached to it. My husband and his family grew up there. Then it was a modest ranch style brick home; one of the first ones built where they live.
     The reason Thanksgiving started here is to commemorate when the Indians (native Americans) and the Pilgrims (first white men that landed here) had a meal together, which showed a cooperation between the 2 groups of people. Somehow it turned into reflecting on why one is thankful, and that we should "give thanks" to God for our blessings. I think that part has fallen by the wayside over the years, but I hear, that some people still do that.
     So, I tried to do that this morning while lying in my bed, and I came up with this: I am thankful that all my material needs are being supplied. I know in my head that is a huge thing, especially when I think of and know about many others in other countries whose basic needs are not being met. Sometimes I have survivors guilt when I think about that, and I could go into wondering why some are provided for in this way, and some are not. This can affect my own thankfulness though, which is not good.
     Another thing I am thankful to God for is having Jesus in my life and heart. This is the best thing, and is something that anyone throughout this world can have. No matter what one's condition is (and I know some are deplorable, and I am compassionate towards that) they can have Jesus. And I also believe that He will answer their cries for what they need and supply them. I really do believe that because He says that He will supply all our needs according to His riches in glory!
      The question then becomes what is it we need? Hmmmm........ That just came to me. I know that in India many don't have 3 square meals a day, and are happy in the Lord regardless. The lepers who live in very depressed conditions by anyone's standards, realize that being in Christ is the main thing. They know Him as the pearl of great price indeed. They consider themselves rich, and full and content. I know this for a fact, as I've been there and visited with them personally. And I have heard that many Christians in other countries know Him in that way, too.
     I want to get to that point. I want to know who He truly is, above all else. I think He is moving me in that direction. I am learning how to let all other things go (inside of me) and to be content fully with just Him, to have no other gods (idols or anything that is treasured) in place of or before Him.

    
 This song was the one God exposed me to, whenever all hell was breaking loose in my and my families' life. He was giving me perspective. He was saying to me that He was still here, and that was the main thing. Amen.
     Everyone throughout the world who know Him can celebrate this kind of thanksgiving each and everyday, because He's given Jesus Christ His Son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home