Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Nevertheless, not I , but Christ

     A new thing is occuring in me. Whenever I behave wrongly out of my flesh, instead of spending time on guilt, the Lord is saying to my spirit, "that is what is passing away. In fact, that is already dead." He is wanting me to begin to look at it that way now. When things like that happen in me, I become aware of the results of the work He has done in me.
     I always wondered how we could "reckon ourselves dead to sin." In the not too distanct past, I had thought it meant that we simply just were not to sin, and some of that is implied, but also He  has revealed that when we do sin, (or break the law of love,which we do quite often daily) that instead of looking at it glaringly, we are to not pay it much attention, as we truly have been crucified with Christ, and we are indeed dead, if we will but consider ourselves that way. If we look at that behavior as "us" instead of the new creation we truly are, then we will, in effect, resurrect and hamper the new man from coming forth. When the righteousness of Christ in us breaks through our earthen vessel, we can say, "That is the new man; that is the real me."
      It is awesome how the Holy Spirit does lead us into all truth, if we let go of our former understanding and open up to the understanding He holds and offers us.  When we begin to really believe that He will do this, and realize more and more of who He is, then we won't be as quick to consult commentaries on Scripture. We will instead listen to His voice (as He fine-tunes our spiritual ears) begin to trust it, and He will open up more and more vistas of truth to us.
     Many years ago when a friend proclaimed excitedly that she had been crucified with Christ, and I could see that she really understood that to a large degree, I asked her,"Then what is it called, when one still gets angry, or is selfish, or is jealous,etc.?" I was reasoning that if our old nature was presenting itself , then it must not be dead. I'll never forget her reply. She said, "I don't know," and didn't seem too concerned about it. Of course, that answer did not satisfy me at all. That was about 6 years ago.
     Two days ago, God brought more light to my wonderings about that when He said, "that is what has already died, and is continuing to pass away, " and He indicated I was to just more/less not give it attention, much like my friend had. In other words, if it was dead (the old man) it was dead, and was trying to present itself as alive. (or an illusion) With spiritual eyes, we can reckon ourselves dead, but alive to Christ.
     We live in the light of forgiveness by His grace towards us, and so if we were indeed crucified with Him, why should we keep getting off the cross, insisting that the old "we" exist? It is a matter of living by faith and not by sight and by doing so, the faith vision comes to pass in the seen realm-"on earth as it is in heaven." God begins to shift our being from one place to the other, as we contine on with Him believing, and as we allow Him to grow us into His image. Amen. What a revolutionary, fantastic new Life He offers us in His Kingdom. "All things have become new."


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home