Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Search Us, O God and Know Us

     I woke up at 4:30 this morning, which isn't so strange. I've been doing that for awhile now. My legs were hurting on both sides, and so it was a relief to get out of bed. I did the usual routine of making coffee, and then I went outside and looked up at the sky. It is one of those beautifully, clear skys so black with every star shining brightly. Of course, I thought of when God told Abraham that He would be the father of many nations, and his descendants would be as many as the sand on the shore, and the stars in the sky.
     He is our Father if we live by faith, and not by sight. If our lives are transient like his was, ready to  leave all behind, and go at a moment's notice because we trust in and believe in God's guidance for our lives, and if we are "looking for a city whose kingdom and nation is God's." Then, after reflecting on the beauty in the sky, I thought, "Even so, come Lord Jesus."   
     As beautiful as the creation of this earth is, I've never felt at home or safe here. I am looking forward to the Day of the Lord when He will set everything right. In Zephaniah it speaks of a day when there will be safety in the land. I have imagined this day in my mind. To walk outside and go anywhere we want to without threat of danger, knowing that nothing would or could happen to threaten our existence, can only be talking about the new earth that God will set up in the future. I long for that day.
     More importantly, though, I long to look into the face of Jesus, and I can't even imagine that! We can try, but I don't think the limits of our minds can do it. I've always sought to know "the beauty of His holiness." I believe that we can only get glimpses of that while still on this earth. So, I sojourn. I don't plant my stakes here. I keep going with God, plumbing the depths of who He is and of His love, grace, mercy, justice, and all that is Him. In this sense, if only in a small way, I am finding that city, but I can never completely be there, as there is something in these mortal bodies and the fact that the enemy is temporarily allowed to have sway, which prevents that fully.
     As many wake up today here in America, there will be both jubilation and fear due to which side of the fence you were on with the Presidential election yesterday. My prayer for those in fear who are truly God's children, is that they will cling to our Lord in the days ahead, instead of strengthening their own resources, by trusting in horses and chariots. (the help of Egypt, figuratively representing the reliance on man, either our own or others.)
     If repentance is needed for trusting in riches or self in the past, or for letting the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches or self-reliance have taken them away from trusting Him, then they (me included, as I ask Him to search me for this) would do so. I see many things to fear ahead, with the biggest one being that the fear of the Lord is all but absent in our hearts. We have cast away, reliance on Him, not realizing or acknowledging Him in our lives.
   For those who have kept Him in our hearts, I am reminded of our Lord's voice from many years ago, resonating through the ages, which said that when we see all these things happening (the tribulation that is to come on the world) that we are to look up, and be reminded that our redemption is closer now than when we first began. He left his own with those comforting words.
     When we literally "look up" and see the stars in the sky, let's remember our father of faith as he went forward with God as he traveled this earth, but let's look beyond that and see "the bright and morning star" who promises to come back and receive those who have continued to put their faith in Him. We await your return, O Savior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home