Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Saturday, October 06, 2012

Playing the Game

    I've never been a player, or should I say I have done my best to avoid doing that. What I mean by "playing the game" is when a person acts, says or does something in order to sway people or circumstances to their own advantage. Some would just call that "wisdom" or taking advantage of ones' opportunities, and that is fine in itself, if it stops there. But, taking the next step of manipulating other people's will, is truly witchcraft.
     Many Christian ministries, could perhaps be guilty of this if  they've fleeced the poor, or seduced the rich, perhaps justifying it in the name of "advancing the Kingdom."
     Take selling the goats and sheep for sale, many years ago, when animal sacrifice was required by God. Remember the turning over the tables scene by Jesus? I suppose the rich merchants jacked the price up, and took advantage of the poor in doing so. Jesus was appalled at this. I am assuming that He would rather them give the sheep away then charge them anything at all!!!  
     Fast forward to today: Christian ministries using marketing techniques, which are grounded in nothing but worldly values, based on the bottom line.  Yes, ministries do need money to operate, but where does trusting the Lord leave off, and these "techniques" take over?
    I'm more drawn to Reese Howell and George Muellers' way of faith and prayer of believing God for their provisions than I am with ministries today.
     I never did like sales anyway. Even when approached by well-meaning friends, trying to make money through pyramid-type Christian businesses, and told I would be soooo good at selling their items, I felt funny in my stomach. Could it be that a spirit of manipulation and/or "using  me"was in play here? I don't know. It's something about mixing God and money for personal gain that makes me ill. There is such a fine line, there.
    Well, what about if it's for other people's good, such as a ministry who gives the money that is collected to the poor? My belief is that if someone, who is the head of a ministry and whose heart is right, that God will supply, as He sees fit- in His way, and in His time. And, if they are in a lifestyle of seeking God for direction and guidance, that He will show them the what and the how, and then they can be assured to remain in His will as they go forward.
     God sees the heart of man in the asking for money, whether it be in the "church system" or in a Christian ministry. Keeping pure is almost impossible if one employs worldly methods in this area. The temptation of manipulation in doing so is crossed, many times before the man, himself,  knows it. Rather to pray and trust God to "open doors" and wait, than to take matters into one's own hands and build according to our flesh, and it be a case of  trying to bring about the promises of God ourself!
     So,  don't save me a place at the table! I'll sit this one out! I don't want to play! I don't know that I'm pure enough to not cross that line, or even if I'm supposed to play at all. Until I can see clearly, I'll wait and pray. (Thoughts from me, stemming from trying to sort out something in my life concerning being a part of supporting someone who is called of God on a certain mission in this life. Writing it out helps me do that. In the process, I hope God has used it to help someone else who may read this, sort things out in the same or similar situation, or just to sort things out in general, concerning the will of God in these areas.)


Quote concerning George Mueller:
"He had prayed in millions of dollars (in today's currency) for the Orphans and never asked anyone directly for money. He never took a salary in the last 68 years of his ministry, but trusted God to put in people's hearts to send him what he needed. He never took out a loan or went into debt. And neither he nor the orphans were ever hungry."
    
Quote concerning Reese Howell:
"They were commissioned to build and sustain the largest Bible College in Wales by prayer and faith alone. At that time, the founders had only two shillings, (ten UK pence/ fifteen US cents)."
    
    
   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home