Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

     Sometimes people have a drive to "be somebody" or to feel like their existence here on earth counts for something, and so they spend their life pursuing that or trying to prove their significance. I was in that mode for many years of my life. In fact, I remember reading a book called Search for Significance by Robert S. McGee, when I was in the depths of my pursuit. It didn't tell me what I thought it would, but instead told me that my significance was in my identity in Christ only, and showed how believing the lies of the enemy against myself and not the truth of God towards me was the reason I was driven to prove myself in this way.
     So, does that mean we are to live a futile life and not "do" anything? Of course not. But it's when we truly accept God's acceptance of us, that we can then be content with and trust where He's place us not only geographically, but also in the activities,circumstances, and people of our lives. Then, it seems, He begins to open up areas of using the gifts He's placed in us, and He directs our paths to places He desires us to walk in and be used. But, and this is a major point, we aren't the ones directing, striving for, or manipulating things to make it happen. Because of the trust in Him, He  increasingly develops in us, He begins to live and move and have His will come to pass through us. It becomes "not I, but Christ who lives in me." And it's a restful place to be, and an exciting one as we stand back and watch the glory of God, when we raise the staff  He's place in our hand in trust.
     We then leave the fantasy life of yearning for "somewhere over the rainbow" and step into the life of trusting Him, where we can confidently say, "there's no place like home." The home of His heart is where we belong, and straying from that on our own, will leave us down a path where we may get our reward on earth, but that is all we will get. He tells us that if we gain the whole world, yet lose our own soul-what good is that?   
      So, believing the truth that we are accepted in the beloved truly sets us free from that nagging desire to 'be somebody" and opens us up to life in Him that is truly Life. Now, that's Life eternal; Life in the Son!

This book can still be found on Amazon, and I highly recommend it. I read it about 20 years ago, and it's truths are eternal, and continue to be absorbed in my soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home