Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Go and Make Disciples

     Woke up with a desire to not live safely, but to step out and let Him live through me by going to places where the needy for Him live and share Him with them. When He begins to take the pre-eminency inside us, we begin to experience His desires, instead of our own.
     The other day, as I shared on the blog, ("Like A Mighty Rushing Wind"-12/13/2012) I stepped out of my comfort zone, and followed what He led me to do, and it was glorious! But, it wasn't exactly going into the unsafe zone, as there were people all around me in a opened environment outside Walmart. The scary parts for me in that scenario were whether or not it was legal to give out the books without asking permission, and just simply the slight embarrassment I was thinking I would feel (which I didn't ,because I was able to "humble myself" to His will) in doing it. So, that was really not that threatening, but enough ,I suppose ,to make it seem so at the moment.
    When my son and daughter-in-law were attending the School of Urban Missions, I had the opportunity to talk casually with the President of the school. He shared with me about his brother who, he felt, had been called of the Lord, but who he also said was "serving the Lord from a safe place," suggesting that he hadn't really trusted God in this calling.
     When he said that term, some strong reverberation was brought to my spirit pointedly directed at me. It's been kept there until this moment. I have found that when God emphasizes something someone does or says, even when they are not talking about you specifically, that it is a word for you, meant to communicate something for you then, or held in escrow to be revealed or brought up again in the future. Does God ever speak that way with you?
     Of course, when I first had the desire in my heart this morning, I replied back to it by saying, "There is no way I can do that." I'm a scared-y cat." And immediately, a voice replied back, "Of course you can't, but Christ that lives in you can." Being shaken back to reality by His comment, I wondered where He would have me go and what He would have me do and say.
     Then I remembered an idea He gave me a few days ago. He showed me 2 places to have the Bible Study about the dynamics of Grace that I am currently having in my safe home with my sister-in-laws. One is to have it in a library room in town. I had inquired many years back about holding a meeting in one of their rooms and they told me they don't do advertising for it, that I would have to do it on my own. I had wondered how I could get the message out to those "out there" who I didn't know, but who were needing to know Him. Then a few days ago, He told me to print out simple flyers, and personally hand them out to women as they walked in the library. It would tell of the subject, times and dates of the study and just see what happens. He, by His Spirit, would be responsible for moving on those He knew needed to come.
     The other place was in a room in the office area of the place my friend lives. She lives in an apartment owned by HUD, and I know there are many there who are struggling to cope in life, and who are "in need of the Physician," and of the grace He brings to us when we receive Him. He had placed that in me about 2 years ago, and now it is being resurrected.
     "Today is the day of salvation" He says. There are those waiting to hear and to see the Love, the Light, and the Grace of God through His surrendered children, as we are to be "living epistles," in this world.
     Will you give your life as a living sacrifice? No matter if you feel safe; no matter if you are safe. We can be assured we are safe in the arms of Jesus, by life or by death, as His Spirit moves us out, so that He can "let His Light so shine," through us.
    
    
    

2 Comments:

  • At 12/16/2012 4:07 PM , Blogger patrick jackson said...

    Hello. Patti said "there is no way I can do that. I'm a scaredy cat?

    Hey, me too! I learned the following from one of my favorites, John Piper:

    Applying the Text to Your Life

    So here is the truth that I draw out of this for living the Christian life: By the work of the Holy Spirit God defeats temptation (like the temptation to be angry and depressed that you are suffering) by awakening joy through belief in the word of God which is at work in us. And that word is most centrally the good news that Christ died for us so that all the promises of God are Yes in him (2 Corinthians 1:20).

    So let’s say the lesson another way now. We live the Christian life, we walk by the Spirit, when the Holy Spirit overcomes our temptations to sin by awaking joy through faith in the blood-bought promises of God that are at work in us. So you see the dynamics at work here: The Holy Spirit, the Word of God, faith, and joy. By the Spirit, we trust the promises which bring joy which defeats temptation. And all the while we are praying!

    So now let me illustrate how this works. It helps me to have an acronym called APTAT.

    A — I admit I can’t in myself do what needs to be done.
    P — I pray for God’s help.
    T — I trust a particular promise he has given.
    A — I act to do whatever God is calling me to do.
    T — I thank him for his help when I am done.

    So here’s how it works.

    The Temptation of Fear

    God has called you do something. You know it’s right, but you’re afraid. What do you do?

    You admit honestly and humbly: “I am afraid and I cannot do this by myself.” Then you pray: “O God, grant me courage. Please don’t let me be ruled by fear. Take it away.”

    Then you call to mind a specific, tailor-made, blood-bought promise that Christ has guaranteed for you by his blood: “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Isaiah 41:10). You trust this promise. You say to God, “I take this promise for myself. I trust you. You are now my help.”

    And you act. You act, believing that God, the Holy Spirit, is acting in you by his word through your faith. And when you are done, you bow your head and say, “Thank you. Thank you.”

    Here is the link to the full length sermon if anyone is interested in listening: (48 min)

    http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/the-word-of-god-is-at-work-in-you

    I use this for a lot of things, for something as simple as riding my bike to church at night and back home. To me, however, that is not simple, especially in the times in which we live today. Trust in His blood bought promises, one I use a lot is Proverbs 3:5,6

    APTAT !

    Thanks patti, for this blog, and for all the great praise and worship music !

    with great hope in Christ,
    patrick

     
  • At 12/16/2012 4:45 PM , Blogger Patti Blount said...

    Thank you,Patrick for sharing that. We all can help one another.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home