Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Few There Be That Find It

Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.



 The Road Not Taken





TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;


Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 



And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 



I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 


"I took the one less traveled by"-Could this not just as easily represent the "narrow gate" that Jesus tells us about; the one that "few there be that find it?' If one chooses to go through it, by choosing to follow Jesus and His blessed will, giving up their own life and taking His, hasn't this choice too, "made all the difference?"

I am going through a time on this road to glory of one of questioning and fear because the result of me being here is very costly-again, it cost us our very lives, often shattering our vision of the way we think  life is to be lived. It is a time of being assaulted with doubts, wondering if I've just made the whole thing up in my mind, and have self-created this imaginary path. Now, that is a steep precipice to travel on.    Standing with Eve before the serpent while he whispers, "did God really say?" watching the world and the majority who call themselves His, frolicking in the paths of the world, while tasting of it's pleasures and delicacies along the way. If I look around for confirmation or assurance, I only find a taunting finger beckoning and tempting me to "come and play," being judged as a kill-joy, or worse, a religious legalist.

Deep in my spirit, I know it is real, and the crushing of my soul's desires and hopes, is what this process is all about, even if God has to let satan tempt and taunt me, to get my roots planted even deeper in Christ. Our wills eventually have to align themselves with His fully, as we keep having to choose Him every step of the way, sacrificing more and more of what we had truly wanted and desired, even our precious family and friends.

"I choose You!" my will cries out, as it is being dessimated at the same time. The agonies of the soul in the death process, (which is part of traveling this road) are excruciatingly painful, with concurrent beautiful wares and self-indulgent dainties, lining the way with their alluring power. "Help me," I cry out to the Lord, asking Him to strengthen my resolve to keep going. "I want to want You only," I tell Him.

What road have you chosen to walk? Is it the wear-worn one (the broad way) or the road less traveled? One is the primrose path, where the rewards are now and self-desired pleasures are many, which leads to destruction; the other is the path of Life because Christ walks with you, enabling you to make it with Him to the end of your time on earth, and which carries you on into eternity.

The beauty of Christ's heart is that if you are still living on earth, you can decide to turn around and get on the other path. He holds out His hand to take yours, if you want to change your route and destination. It is a hard path for your soul to walk on, and it is forever challenging your old ways, tendencies and desires; even asking death to them, but in exchange for all of this, you get Christ, and letting Him fulfill His desires through you on this earth, for the praise of His glory. The decision is yours. "This is the way, walk ye in it," says the Spirit of God to you this day.



2 Comments:

  • At 12/14/2012 10:14 PM , Blogger patrick jackson said...


    Not my words, but very well could be ":o) I'm hoping that I'm not a minority here, and these could be the words of many of His kids. I suppose mine were not quite as tame, and I think my cry of "God, I NEED YOU!"... is even louder.

    Thank you patty, for expressing your heart, thus making others feel not quite so alone.

    in Christ,
    patrick

     
  • At 12/15/2012 5:39 AM , Blogger Patti Blount said...

    Sometimes I think the fellowship of the saints is spiritual, by allowing Christ to truly be our Head. It seems in my life, for now, He's chosen the people I know who are "after His own heart" to be geographically distant from me. Perhaps He is strengthening our spiritual senses by doing this so that we will continue to press into Him deeper in our loneliness. We are one in Him; because of Him.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home