Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Courage to Speak

     Do you ever feel like it's "your job" to rescue people from something they are doing or involved in which you believe will be harmful to them, or will lead them down the wrong path? I do.
     Where is the line in helping others, especially those who are in the Body of Christ? We all have blinders on for some reason or another. We see what is not there at times, and we refuse to see what is in front of us for various reasons. So, isn't it love to help each other see, what perhaps we don't or won't see?
     I think one reason we draw back from approaching each other in this way, is because we are afraid that the other person will get angry. We self-protect, which is self-love. Another reason we draw back, could be that we don't want people to think we are controlling or nosy, or a busy-body. Again, this is centered on self, and not the other person.
    Are there any Scripture to help us answer this question?

1) "He must know that he who causeth a sinner to be converted from the error of his way, shall save his soul from death, and shall cover a multitude of sins."-James 5:20.

2) "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering and doctrine." II Timothy 4:2

3) but exhort ye one another every day, while the To-day is called, that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of the sin,-Heb. 3:13.

and then the dreaded:

4) "But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand. 7So you, O son of man, I have set you a watchman to the house of Israel; therefore you shall hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me. 8When I say to the wicked, O wicked man, you shall surely die; if you do not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at your hand."-Ezekiel 33:7-10.
 

     I'm not sure if only Ezekiel, as a prophet, was to be a "watchmen" when he was alive, only, or if we, God's people, are to be "as Ezekiel" to one another presently. This is definately something we should seek God about.
     If we are to be watchmen for each other and we don't speak up when we see someone doing "wickedness", according to this Scripture, God is saying that we will be held responsible for that, and even blamed for our silence. More pointedly, He says, "the blood will I require at your hand."

     These are enough Scriptures given that suggest that God wants us to watch out for each other, checking behavior, actions, and even sin, and speaking to each other about it.
     What if we had done that with all the Christian women today who are showing cleavage?  I am still grieved about this immodesty, which is no different than the women of the world. 
     If other women in the Body of Christ, had talked to these women in love, showing them the Scriptures about immodesty, maybe some of them, who were opened, and not defensive and prideful, and who didn't know what God has said about this, would have turned. Instead, the world sees who God's people say they are, and I think, "their witness" is turning many from even wanting to receive Him. I believe that is how serious He is about us abiding in His truth and ways. When we don't, it has dire, eternal consequences.  
     This is only an example of how, if we don't speak to each other, sin and destruction will take over in our lives, and, as the last part of the verse in Hebrews says, "we will become hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." Scary stuff, when we consider how the ignored leaven among us can infect the whole batch, and "we lose our saltiness."

Oh God, I want to speak when you tell me to speak. Forgive me, O Lord, when I have failed to do so because I was afraid, and didn't rely on the boldness and strength that you promise me. I turned aside to my own ways. I am sorry. Empower me now to go forward in Your Name, risking it all for Your Name's sake. Amen.

    

    

    

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home