Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Will Follow Him

     Yesterday I was talking to a Dad and asking him if he was going to take their teenaged daughter to the Purity Ball. The Purity Ball is a banquet given locally for Dad's and their teenaged daughters. It is held in a place which is lavishly decorated with white table cloths and beautiful floral arrangements, and hanging chandeliers; a royal affair; something females love! The girls wear formal gowns, and the fathers their best suits, or even tuxedos. This date is one each other would never forget.
     The man replied, "I don't know. I don't like the idea of making vows. It's like a law which makes it even more desirable." He was referring to the vows the teenaged daughter makes to her Dad saying she will remain sexually pure until marriage.
     I responded that, although making a vow would not necessarily keep her pure, that the date would be an unforgettable memory and beautiful experience she would have of him and her for the rest of her life. And, I added, that when I make a vow, it doesn't make me want to do what I am vowing not to do. If I made a vow with my Dad in audience, and there was real love between us, I would want to keep the vow-for myself, yes, but also because I would know that is what He wanted, and I would want it for that reason too. He said, "Well, I'm different."
     Later last night, I was pondering this, and comparing it to our relationship with God, our Father. I was quickened to the Scripture that tells us that when we come to Him, He replaces our "heart of stone" with a "heart of flesh." (Ezekiel 11:19) This means we are now tender towards Him and His will, and we then want to do what He wants. Before that, we desire our own way only.
     Then, I was thinking about the vows we make when we get married. Do making those vows tempt us to want to break them? This is what my friend was suggesting with vow making. No, when we love someone, we want to vow to be true.
     Is it possible to retain our heart of stone (rebellious heart) and still claim we have given our heart to the Lord, in essence, we have "vowed" to follow Him, and we have given our life to Him? I don't think so. Do I think my friend doesn't know the Lord? No I don't, but I do think he is confused and mixed up. He is holding on to the nature of the old heart (rebellion) and he's been given a new one!!!
    It feels so good to want to do the Lord's will, and to have the ability to do it by His Holy Spirit. (not that we always do, as we are also growing, as He sanctifies us) With our new heart, He gives us both "the will" and the "to do" of His good pleasure. (Phil. 2:13) Let's do it with joy!











    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home