Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

The Dangerous and Subtle Lure of Self

     Yesterday I walked the streets of gold, and indulged the "lusts of my eyes." What I mean by this is that I went to a dress shop which had beautiful clothes, whose price was 3 times what I normally pay. Even with the 25% discount, they were still expensive, by my standards. I was interested in 2 pieces, and even tried them on. Of course, they fit perfectly and made me look luxuriously "stunning." And I was seriously considering buying one or the other, or even both. Then I saw a pearl necklace I thought was pretty. Because I am not an impulse buyer, I told the sales clerk, I would think about them. She wrote the items down for me with the "reduced" prices on them, so I wouldn't forget what I had looked at. We had had a nice conversation, and I liked her "to boot." While I was there, I felt like I was somebody important.
     Then I went to another dress shop, which also was expensive, but not so exclusive as the previous one. I bought a unique shirt which cost more than any top I had ever purchased. I couldn't believe I was doing it. I actually imagined the "comments" I would get from others, when I wore it. The only problem was that I really didn't have any place to wear it, and so I was trying to think of some place to go where I could. Then, in the back of my mind, I thought that would cost money, too.
     Since, the store has a return policy, with receipt of 7 days, I now plan on returning it. Why the change, and how did God wake me up out of this flesh driven stupor I was in?
     On the way home from shopping in town, I listened to a sermon on the radio, custom made for me. The speaker was telling about temptation and how it presents itself to cause someone to "eat of the world's goodies." I knew this, but at this point in my life, I needed a reminder. He said that it is from 3 sources: "the lust of the flesh, the pride of life, and the lust of the eyes." My little shopping experience had all 3 of these present, and I almost fell prey. I now know that if I would have, I would have entered into a new and more dangerous level of embracing the world, which would have affected greatly my love for God and following Him with my life. Another thing the man on the radio said was the Scripture that said just that-"If you love the world, the love of the Father is not in you."
     Then this morning, God answered a question I had asked Him about which also involved what it means to follow Him, in this world, and why so many who call themselves His, are going in different directions. Finally, something happened in our personal lives, which further cemented the path I must continue to take with God, by resisting the lures of this "golden city" in America; the very values of Babylon itself, and how dangerous to our walk with God this can be, if we do not resist. (by His Spirit, of course.)
     I'm grateful He had my back, and because of this, I did not give into my fleshly impulses, but withdrew from the situation, and was open to His voice and leading. This is the path of righteousness for His Name's Sake.
     Lord, when you say "go" thank you for the power to "go." When you say "stop", thank you for the power to "stop." May I rely on, and use this power you have put inside of me, so that Your desires will be fully met through me.


I John 2:15-17
Do Not Love the World
15Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. 17The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home