Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Finding Myself Among the Strugglers





Personal Commentary on the movie, "Ragamuffin" about the Life of Rich Mullins-




Watching the movie certainly impacted my life; for some strange reason, I have been attracted to his struggles, for I too, struggle. I am wondering if all of us are Ragamuffins, but only some dare to think of themselves in this way. Would this be the same as "the poor in spirit", or the "contrite in heart" God says He will not despise? He came to heal the broken-hearted, and to set the captives free. Aren't all of us those people? And finally He says He came for the sick not the well, so wouldn't it be an advantage in a way to be sick, or to realize our second by second need for Him? Again, in Revelations He says those who say they are "rich" (self-sufficient in any way) are blind, poor and wretched but they don't know it, and He calls them to repentance. But, those who are poor and they know it, seem to be those after His own heart, as David was, and beloved and cherished by the Lord. So, is what Rich said and did, threatening to people because they don't want to look at their own inadequacies, because they love the cover-up of their perfect lives, and appearing all together? God gives grace to the humble. Yes, certainly watching the movie stimulated a lot of thoughts in me, and God used it to speak to me and bring confirmation to those things that I had already seen. He is using it to encourage me on the path He has me on, of living for His purposes with Kingdom values, and not for mine, nor the values of this "false" world, even as I struggle along.

2 Comments:

  • At 6/13/2014 6:26 AM , Blogger Marshall said...

    The struggle does continue here for the "little children" of God "born from above", yet with this: "Now in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us."
    [Romans 8:37]
    We were like ragamuffins, children garnished with torn & dirty clothes, until "now all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ"
    [Galatians 3:27]
    Today our struggle is no longer about our flesh or everyday survival, "but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world-forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places."
    [Ephesians 6:12]
    I do not know if Rich ever came to understand Christ overcoming all things in us. He certainly was a herald, somewhat like the late Keith Green. Hollywood-style films just can't script for us the full work of God.

     
  • At 6/13/2014 6:54 AM , Blogger Patti Blount said...

    Yes, Marshall, I am being shown that as I come out of my flesh, and into my spirit, so to speak. I agree that Rich didn't seem to understand about overcoming, and seemed to settle with his struggles. I am in no way satisfied to do that in my life-but I press on....... His victory is mine, even though our soul is often in travail and wounded, our spirit soars! I am seeing that "judge no man after the flesh", includes how we see ourselves, too, and in being identified in Christ. Thank you for sharing the truth, and helping my focus not get off in the wrong direction.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home