Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Sunday, February 09, 2014

To Know God or To Know About God?

     I am reading a book called The Torch of the Testimony by John W. Kennedy. In it, he makes a statement that I have never thought about before. Referring to the letter to the Corinthians that Paul wrote them, and the author's observation that they had played at being philosophers which had so increased their self-importance that they had, in practice, denied the Lordship of Christ, he draws a general conclusion that "even an occupation with truth itself, is a potential destroyer of God's purpose for His people."
     I have always believed that the "truth" of God, was the same as Christ, because He said that He is the way, the TRUTH, and the life. The author, though, has suggested, if I understand him correctly, that being in love with truth, can get in the way (or he says 'deny the Lordship') of Christ having the pre-eminence in our lives, which simply means that He is not first, as He should be.
     A few years ago when I was visiting a friend of mine, we were discussing how we enjoyed reading the Word of God. She had said that she finds Christ in every page, and then added, "why else would you read it?" and I replied, "to get understanding." My mind went to the Scripture that says, "in all your getting, get understanding." (Prov. 4:7) I was referring to the understanding of God's heart and mind in His written word, but her answer sounded more spiritual, and  I have pondered it since then.
      Because of my previous interchange with my friend, and now reading what this author had to say about how being occupied with truth itself can displace Christ in our lives, I am wondering if I am guilty of this. I do love truth. Do I love it more than Christ Himself, though, is the question. Is that possible? I will let Him search my heart and know it on this matter. Glory to God for His revealing Holy Spirit, who does indeed "lead us into all truth."
    
    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home