Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Following Jesus With Our Lives


"At once they left their nets and followed him."-Matt. 4:20. When Jesus' disciples were called, this was their response. It is both astounding to me, and revelatory, as how we too, are to respond when He first calls us. 

I can think back on that day, when my life was falling apart, as I lay there on the kitchen floor, after being pushed there by my husband justifiably. My flesh was ruling me, and having harmful effects on not only myself, but my family too. I was trying to right the wrongs in myself, and in the lives of the ones I loved by haranguing myself, and them, to do the right thing. Sadly, though, what I didn't know, was that I couldn't do it. My own will, strong as it was, could not change myself or others on the inside, which was the only thing that could change us. 

Thank God, He knew who I needed, and so, lying there, sad beyond repair, and alone, He came to me, asking me to follow Him. I had to make a decision, because He knew I was at the point of decision. It was either myself or Him. He used a vision to show me this. Once I saw what the end result would be, if I continued on the path that I was on, and the contrast to Life with Him, it really was a no-brainer. I didn't want to suffer anymore. I wanted to be saved and free!!! So,at once, I left my nets and followed Him. 

What are our nets? In my case, they represented all I tried to do to improve myself, and all I thought and acted on to "do life, which was failing miserably." I was so lonely and lost; I could even feel it, but I didn't know how to find Christ. I went to church, and so my conclusion was that I had Him. Even God can penetrate our delusions to save us! 

Following Him requires dropping our nets. Some people think this refers to leaving their jobs, and perhaps it could mean that, depending on one's attachments to it. Those things that keep us from following Him completely, our own past lives even, is what we must leave behind, and not look back.

 I am finding that I had more attachments in this life than I am aware of. As I continue to walk with Him, He exposes more and more of those things that are interfering with drawing closer to Him, and then He calls to me again-"Come follow me." So, again, by the power of His Holy Spirit's strength, and courage, I lay this net down. I noticed an increase in what He is asking me to lay down, ever since I told Him that I want to serve Him fully, with my mind too! All the things I have filled my mind with, which attachments had formed, He is asking from me. 

When we first receive Him, we surrender not only our hearts, but our former lives to Him too! There will be a change. We don't stay the same. In the realm of Spirit, "all things have become new", on the inside of us, as we are born again of the Spirit. Then, as we lay down more and more nets, all things on the outside conform to that given reality. 





1 Comments:

  • At 9/20/2017 4:50 PM , Blogger Marshall said...

    this article became timely for me while discussing these things with a friend (just before seeing your post). "finding" Christ Jesus requires dropping our nets, while even this becomes a matter of faith with understanding: what are my "nets"? Are they my own alone, or possibly someone else's which I have somehow come to hang (depend) upon? Deeply probing. Years of efforts to improve self -- to be abandoned for the new "self"; the renewed mind.

    The grammar or idea of "surrender" may not be a best fit, as many consider surrender in view of giving up (at least temporarily) something for which they had held by entitlement or right. Yet Jesus had received everything from the Father; is grafting us in; adopting us, knowing that He has received full privilege to us all --- while at the same time we may have been struggling or rebelling... pushing back beneath our misinformed quest to hold on to what was presumed ours in the passing-away world of our own.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home