Great and Unsearchable Things

Things the Lord gives me, and then I write them.

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

It Was, and Now Is

A trusted and faithful brother in the Lord once advised me, by saying, “Don’t go digging in your own garden.” When he said that, I knew I had been so caught up, most of my life, in self-analysis, digging around on the inside of me, (the garden of my soul) that I understood completely what he meant. It was loving counsel to try and help me stop doing what only God can and should do.
Of course, Paul tells us to “examine ourselves” but that was to “see if we are in the faith” and not to inspect ourselves in the way that I had become accustomed. It wasn’t serving me well; in fact, it was destroying me.
My thought had been that if only I could find the error of my ways, I could change them, and then I’d be happy. (Buzzer sound!!! NOT!!!)
As Christ and His Word has grown in me, I discovered that He is the only Gardener,  who knows how to inspect fruit and reveal it to me. My only part, then, is to lay that rotten fruit at His feet in confession, and let Him change it into fresh, pretty, and nourishing fruit. I can’t do that no matter how much I think I know and see.
By nature, I love to analyze and fix things, so this has been a challenge for me. It seems like it’s been a cycle of holding on and letting go as I walk with Him. Couldn’t I just make a suggestion? Stop it!!!! Don’t dig in your garden!!! Let Him do what only He can do, and do perfectly, I tell myself.
This morning this truth was reinforced as I came across this Scripture from Heb. 10:14-“....by One sacrifice He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.”
Wow! This mind-blowing truth is awesome! He has already made me perfect at the cross. It was finished! And, at the same time, I am being made holy! The thing that was accomplished in the past, is being worked out in the present in my life! I am being made holy! Without my involvement, except to respond to what He shows me, as He walks with me and talks with me, in the Garden. What a fascinating God! What a faithful God! What a laboring God! What a loving God!
Christ in me; the hope of glory!!!! Selah. 

1 Comments:

  • At 5/27/2020 9:20 AM , Blogger Angelia said...

    I find if I'm so busy learning and keeping the instruction of God, working to fulfill the vision He has provided to our family and serving the needy -- I don't have time to examine my navel! ;)

    All along when I find myself mortified, debased, and shot-down, the Lord is chiseling away at my hardened heart in his own time and in his own way. Once you're broken, you don't have to be reminded to limp. You walk more gingerly and circumspectly quite naturally!

    If we accept that those challenging times are from the Lord and allowed by the Lord for our own strengthening and to draw us near to Him and quit blaming everyone around us for our awful circumstances, we will press into the Fire and let it burn away the chaff! Our only response can be love and forgiveness.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home